by Terri Peña
If you would prefer a more substantial dessert, skip the small bowls and serve over a slice of pound cake, being certain to drizzle some of the juices from the berries over each slice.
Strawberries and Cream for Grown-ups
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, you want about 4 cups once the berries are cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup fruity white wine, a dry Riesling would be nice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cut the little green tops off the strawberries and quarter. At least an hour before serving combine wine and strawberries and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator to macerate.
- Combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, or a handheld whisk and a strong forearm, beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Serve by spooning about a cup of berries and some juice into a small bowl, or glass, and top with a dollop of cream.
More recipes: THE TASTES OF SPRING