by Terri Peña
This recipe begins with my Grandma’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. I swapped out the chocolate chips and walnuts for dried cherries and pistachios. The resulting cookies are pretty to look at as well as tasty.
Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries and Pistachios
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose ﬂour (gluten free works ﬁne)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed well
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces dried cherries
- 6 ounces pistachios, roasted, salted, and shelled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar until light and ﬂuffy, add eggs and vanilla and blend well.
- Add baking powder and salt and stir until completely incorporated.
- Add ﬂour and blend well, then add oatmeal, nuts, and cherries and stir until everything is week distributed.
- Scoop cookie dough onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes,
- until the tops of the cookies are lightly browned.
- After baking, remove to cooling racks and let cool completely.
Photos © Terri Peña.