Elegant, easy, and sure to please. More addictive than potato chips, when in doubt, make two trays.
Caramelized Pear and Onion Tartlets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-sized pear, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 pie crusts, homemade or store-bought
- 4 oz. Brie, broken into small pieces to top the tarts
- Melt the butter in a medium sized frying pan, add the onion, and cook over medium heat until the onion is soft and golden colored. Add the pear and salt, and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the brandy and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pie crust into a 12 inch square. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares and place each square into a mini muffin tin. Top the dough with the onion mixture and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. As soon as the tartlets come out of the oven, top each with a small piece of brie. Serve warm.
- Makes 24 tartlets, easy to double or triple.