This recipe comes from my friend Allan, and will be the hit of the snack table. Every time I bring a bowl to a party people want to know who brought the nuts, and ask me to bring a them again and again.
- 1 pound cashews
- 1 egg white *
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup sugars
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 350F, spread nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 6-8 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool.
- Reduce heat to 250F, then whisk the egg white and water until light and foamy. Add nuts, and toss to coat. Transfer the coated nuts to a fine mesh strainer, give them a little shake, and set them to drain for at least 3 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add egg white coated nuts to the mixture and toss until the nuts are evenly covered. Spread in a single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, turn nuts with a spatula and return to oven for another 30 minutes, or until dry. Remove nuts from oven, and allow to cool completely on baking sheet before storing. The nuts will be a little soft right out of the oven, they crunch up as they cool.
- Makes about two cups, easy to double or triple.
*To make this recipe vegan, prepare an egg white substitute using ground flax seed. Combine 1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons water, and let sit for a good fifteen minutes. The mixture will thicken as it stands and can then be used in the recipe in place of egg whites.