Do as many good deeds as the pomegranate has seeds. This is a Jewish New Year’s adage and the inspiration for a festive New Year’s Eve cocktail. If you have fresh pomegranates, add a few seeds to the bottom of each glass for an elegant presentation.
The Ball Drop
- 1 1/2 cups white or silver tequila
- 1 1/2 cups fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup pomegranate syrup *
- orange bitters
- Combine the tequila, lime juice,and pomegranate syrup in a large pitcher and refrigerate. As you pour each individual drink, top with a couple shakes of orange bitters.
- Makes about 8 drinks, double or triple as needed.
*Stir 1/2 cup of sugar into 3/4 cup of pomegranate juice and hear just enough to dissolve the sugar. Let cool. This will make approximately cup of syrup.