by Terri Peña
Asparagus Soup with Parmesan Crisps
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- squeeze of fresh lemon, to taste
- Start with 4 cups broth, reserving the last cup to thin to desired consistency.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saut? 5 minutes, or until soft. Add broth, asparagus stalks, and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus tips in boiling, salted water 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Once the asparagus is soft, pur?e the soup using a traditional or immersion blender until smooth. Return to soup to pan, and stir in cream, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with asparagus tips and Parmesan Crisps.
Parmesan Crisps look fancy, but are dead easy to make. Serve them alongside any soup, even on a week night, for an impressive presentation.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - a micro plane works especially well
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with silicone baking mat. Divide Parmesan cheese into 6 mounds on baking mat, and flatten using back of spoon. Bake 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese melts into lacy rounds. Cool completely. Remove from baking sheet with spatula; set aside.
- Note: Turn off the convection in your oven before placing the little piles of cheese inside. Unless of course you enjoy watching cheese billow around the inside of your oven.